On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 09:36:57 +1100
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Sorry to jump in here late, I haven;t looked at the whole thread.
>
> Have you already checked your sshd_config on the machine you are
> ssh'ing to
>
> You need to have:
> X11Forwarding yes          <-- default is NO
> X11UseLocalhost  yes

Check.

> you can also get around it with:
> AllowTcpForwarding yes    <-- I assume the default of this is no as
> well.
>
> but would have to deal with the security yourself in that case.
>
> You already seem to have your X server listening on a TCP port so you
> are OK there (the default these days is to use a unix socket I think)
>
> Anyway - hope I am not stating the obvious here.
> If all of that fails then the sshd -ddd looks like a plan to me, use
> a different port (e.g.  -p 5022) - you will need to run this after
> you ssh'ed in of course.

Fooling around with that now. The man page says that output is sent to
the system log (which I presume is /var/log/syslog). It doesn't seem to
be doing that.

However, it runs through lots of ports (Not sure where it starts since
I can't scroll up that far) and then reports:

debug2: bind port 6999: Cannot assign requested address
Failed to allocate internet-domain X11 display socket.
debug1: x11_create_display_inet failed.

So that at least explains why DISPLAY is not set.

Any further help appreciated.

Alan