http://nms-cgi.sourceforge.net/ has a bunch of such things, including
a drop-in replacement for the once-popular Matt's FormMail that's
designed to be less spam-friendly. It sounds like you don't want to
just use one of those scripts, but reading the code/changelogs might
give you ideas for other snafus to avoid.

One other thing I can think of tha tmight be useful is to have a
one-time-use token in the form; generate a (pseudo)random token each
time the form is served, expire the token as soon as it's used (or, if
it's been more than, say, 5 minutes since it was generated). Won't
stop the spamming, but they'll have to grab the page to get a token
each time..

Of course, that might be bad, because you might find that a determined
spammer doing that causes a lot of load... but the rate limiting
you've talked about that should largely ameliorate that.