On 18/04/07, Howard Lowndes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Usually "stealthed" means that the ports are being filtered at the
gateway and that incoming packets are being dropped rather than a Reset
being sent, where they would be seen as Closed.

I suspect that you have a firewall problem on your router.  Most routers
don't accept ICMP Ping and this could be causing the symptoms that you
describe.

Accepting or otherwise ICMP Ping won't lead to specific ports being listed
as open or not.

What the security site is doing is trying to open a connection to your
machine on that port - it's sending a "SYN" packet to you. Think of this as
someone seeing a person in a crowd that they think is you, and yelling "Oi,
Bill!"

What happens next is one of three things:

* You turn around and say "Hi John!" - or, in the case of your computer, it
sends a "SYN ACK" packet back, to indicate that the connection can commence.
This results in John being sure you're the Bill he remembers, or your
security site in listing the port as "Open"

* You turn around and say "Sorry, I don't know you" - or, in the case of
your computer, it sends a "RST", to indicate that the connection can't
connect. This results in John looking silly, or in the case of the security
site, the port being listed as "Closed"

* You ignore the shout and keep walking. John won't ever be sure what
happened - did you not hear him? Perhaps your name isn't Bill? Perhaps you
heard, and know who he is, but are still upset about that time he stole your
cow, so you're pretending not to hear? In terms of your security site, there
are a similar bunch of things that could have happened: your machine may not
have received the request to open the connection (because an upstream
firewall filtered it, or just because of random packet loss, or because it
was in the middle of being rebooted at that moment, or...), or it might have
received the request but chosen not to respond (because of some software
firewall, or because the app running on that port was frozen, or...), or
your computer might have received the request, sent a RST back, but that RST
could have gone missing...

Since there's no way to know what happened, your security site lists this as
"Stealthed"

---

But, all of the above is a bit of an intellectual wank, really - it might
give you some understanding of what "Stealthed" means, but it doesn't help
with your problem.

Do any other ports that you have forwarded on the router get listed as
'open'?
Do you have some kind of software firewall installed on your machine
(Windows and Mac OS both come with firewalls by default, plus most antivirus
packages come bundled with one now)?
Was emule running at the time you did the scan?

--
Howard.
LANNet Computing Associates - Your Linux people <http://lannetlinux.com>

There is nothing more worthy of contempt than a man who quotes himself -
Zhasper, 2004