On 08/05/07, Ben Donohue <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi all,

I have a new centos box with a boot partition and a large raid array of
over 3TB.

there is nothing on the raid array and I don't mind blowing it away and
starting again.

However when I boot I get an error saying there is a problem with /data
(which is the raid array).
Control+D to reboot or root passwd to login.

When I login with root I cannot repair the disk with fsck or e2fsck. I
don't really care if I can blow it away and start again.

When I login I cannot edit fstab as it's a read only file system.
I was going to edit out LABEL=/data etc and try to format the disk etc.
from withing centos.

Can't help with the bigger issues.

Can help with this one.

"mount -o rw -o remount /" should result in / being remounted read/write so
that oyu can edit fstab.

However, I can't guarantee that you're not going to lose data by doing that.
I've never had a problem, but I've also never been in your situation...

That said, you indicate that it's a new installation and you're willing to
blow it away, so you probably don't care.

You may want to run "sync" a couple of times before you reboot after doing
this, as a lucky charm to make sure your changes get written to disk.

But I cannot get there...
I've tried knoppix but it does not seem to like anything in the TB size
range using gparted...

Any pointers on what I should do next?
(I'm also googling...)

Thanks,
Ben Donohue

IMPORTANT NOTICE TO RECIPIENT

Computer viruses - It is your responsibility to scan this email and any
attachments for viruses and defects and rely on those scans as Communication
Design & Management Pty Limited (CDM) does not accept any liability for loss
or damage arising from receipt or use of this email or any attachments.

Confidentiality - This email and any attachments are intended for the
named recipient only and may contain personal information, be it
confidential or subject to privilege, none of which are lost or waived
because this email may have been sent to you in error. If you are not the
named addressee please let CDM know by return email, permanently delete it
from your system and destroy all copies and do not use or disclose the
contents.

Copyright - This email is subject to copyright and no part of it maybe
reproduced in any manner without the written permission of the copyright
owner.

Privacy - Within the jurisdiction of Australian law, personal information
in this email must be dealt with in compliance with the Australian Federal
Privacy Act 1988.

There is nothing more worthy of contempt than a man who quotes himself -
Zhasper, 2004