On 04/06/07, Voytek Eymont <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I'm transferring web users from RH73 to Centos on new server;

is there a way to transfer users' unknown passwords to the new server ?

this is just for ftp access, that's the only access users have

(or do I just ask them 'what password you desire?')

Assuming you're talking about passwords in /etc/passwd, the password
hash there is just a hash (plus, maybe, a bit of salt); it should be
safe to just copy that field across to /etc/passwd[1] on the new
machine

Assuming you're talking about passwords stored in some custom
ftp-server-specific repository, the same probably holds true, but I'd
have to know more about the ftp server to be more specific.

However, you mentioned "web users", which suggests to me that you've
got a htpasswd file somewhere? Again, those passwords are just md5
hashes, so copying them to the new .htpasswd file is fine

[1] I actually mean /etc/shadow, not /etc/passwd, of course, but in my
mind the concept "/etc/passwd" includes the files /etc/passwd and
/etc/shadow, together.

--
Voytek

There is nothing more worthy of contempt than a man who quotes himself
- Zhasper, 2004