On Tue, 2007-09-25 at 12:56 +1000, Sonia Hamilton wrote:
> I want to (as a simple example) update my password on n *nix machines
> using the passwd command, which prompts me to enter my old password then
> new password twice. With expect I can automatically feed in the old and
> new passwords when prompted as passwd is run via ssh on each of the n
> machines.
>
> I could also (for example) use awk/perl/tool-du-jour on /etc/shadow on
> each machine, but that's nasty, especially across different
> Linuxes/SunOSs/versions.

expect is still a good, reliable tool that gets a lot of use. My only
issue is that it's written in Tcl. But most of the current crop of
scripting languages have a module to emulate expect behaviour. Depending
on your needs, using one of these might be a more pleasant option. For
python, I quite like pexpect.

And in great SLUG tradition, I'm going to offer a suggestion that you
definitely didn't ask for; something else to consider, especially for
jobs like the one you describe, is using a tool like multixterm which
uses expect to launch a number of terminals and control them all
together.

--
Pete