Follow up question:

I'm thinking of purchasing a laptop, and I've noticed that Dell offers the
option of high-resolution displays on some of their models (like 1920x1200 or
1680x1050 on a 15.4in, and 1440x900 on a 14in).

I like high-res displays, but at the same time I don't want to be squinting.
Would it be worth getting the highest resolution possible, and just adjusting
the DPI in X if I find the elements on the screen too small? Is there a
benefit to opting for a lower-resolution LCD?

--
"There are no significant bugs in our released software that any significant
number of users want fixed." - Bill Gates, FOCUS Magazine, no. 43, 1995