On Sat, Feb 09, 2008 at 07:31:10PM +1100, Michael Chesterton wrote:

> On 09/02/2008, at 7:00 PM, bill wrote:
>> create /home on /hda3
>
> No, you just mount /dev/hda3 /mnt and
> cp -a /home/* /mnt/
>
>> rename original /home for safety until relocated home is verified to
>> work
>>
>> edit /etc/fstab - change current entry for /hda3 to:-
>>
>> /dev/hda3   /home   ext3   defaults,errors=remount -ro     0   1
>>
> then
>
> mv /home /home.old
> mkdir /home
> umount /mnt
> mount /home
I would do it slightly differently

(boot into single user mode)
cd /
mv /home /home.orig
mkdir /home
mount /home   # Assumnig that fstab is fixed up to mount /dev/hda3 onto /home
do a ls -l /home.orig and set the permissions on the new /home (you need to do
this after the mount so that the permissions get added to the mount partition

rysnc -av /home.orig/* /home/ (this will save symlink and permissions and other
stuff )

then reboot

once you check everything is working fine rm -fr /home.orig

> you probably want to do that in single user mode.
>
>> I shouldn't need to change the UUID for /hda3 in /dev/disk/by_UUID but
>> will need to change th epartiton label in /dev/disk/by_label I
>> believe.
>>
>> Please confirm that the above is correct, or point out any errors if
>> applicable.
>>
>> After lots of Web searching I've spent hours recently changing UUID's
>> and disk/partition labels due to moving HDs from another PC ( I
>> currently have 3 IDE and 2 SATA HD's plus a DVDRW in this PC) and don't
>> want to stuff this up.
>>
>> Everything was so much easier before UUID.
>
> You're not using the uuid, so you can ignore it.
>
> --
> Michael Chesterton
> http://chesterton.id.au/blog/
> http://barrang.com.au/
>

> --

"Every religion is welcomed in our country; all are practiced here."

        - George W. Bush
02/07/2002
Washington, DC
one of many less-than-sincere remarks made at a National Prayer Breakfast