Joel Heenan wrote:
Network
filesystems are not normally used for database files.

I work for an ASP that has all of its Oracle databases (hundreds of them) mounted via NFS. It works just fine. The database servers are running Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 and 5, and the NFS mount points are NetApp filers.

Now, this is a bit tangential to the original question, which was about Windows and samba. SMB/CIFS is not at all the same thing as NFS. But it's worth pointing out that Oracle on network filesystems is perfectly doable - and NFS is fully supported by Oracle, given certain conditions. An important way that we meet those conditions is that all NFS traffic for Oracle is in a physically separate network from all other traffic, and is managed very carefully to avoid congestion.

--Jeremy