On Mon, 2008-03-24 at 19:02 +1100, Richard Hayes wrote:
> I am trying to connect a phone to my box. I can scan and identify both
> the phone and computer  but it looks like I need to create a 'shared
> secret'  for the wireless connection similar to a wifi link.
*snip*

The answers you seek lie in /etc/bluetooth/hcid.conf .

> 1. How do either enable 'promiscuous' mode so I do not have any passcodes?

I *think* you can do this by setting security to none. But I've never
tried it and it comes along with all the obvious potential security
gaffes if you do.

> 2. How do I configure the passcode?

I set security to auto, and set a PIN for it in the passkey option. In
theory, the default setting of "user" for the security means ubuntu will
pop up a dialog whenever anything tries to pair with it, but I don't
think I've ever had that working.

Once that's done, restart hcid with /etc/init.d/bluetooth restart , and
initiate the pairing from your mobile device, entering the appropriate
pin when it asks.

http://www.thejoe.com/2007/05/17/bluetooth-pairing-and-tethering-in-ubuntu-feisty/
 is very helpful when you're doing all this.

--
Pete