Hi Peter,

have you tried install-mbr ?

eg:
install-mbr -i n -p D -t 0 /dev/hda

Quoting Peter Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Dear Lazy Web,

I am presently debugging PXE installs for our product.  This involves a
lot of round trips like this:
1. enter bios setup, disable disk boot
2. netboot and install Linux, when that reboots
3. notice the reboot, hit DEL, enable disk boot
4. shiny new linux boots, not perfect, figure our what went wrong, go
back to step 1

The bios doesn't have a "Press F12 to enter boot menu" which would be
particularly useful, because I could then leave disk boot enabled.

So, dear reader, if you have got this far, how hard is it to add a
"Whack Master Boot Record" to the *grub* boot menu, alongside memtest86,
which would overwrite the MBR with all zero?  That option, combined with
a h/w reset, could be used to cause a fresh install.

Has such a thing been written?  what is the package name?

Regards
Peter Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
/\/\*        http://miller.emu.id.au/pmiller/

PGP public key ID: 1024D/D0EDB64D
fingerprint = AD0A C5DF C426 4F03 5D53  2BDB 18D8 A4E2 D0ED B64D
See http://www.keyserver.net or any PGP keyserver for public key.

"You got the Dumb Bird sitting on your shoulder." -- Dr. Phil