On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 09:16:59AM +1000, Alex Samad wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 08:39:17AM +1000, Alex Samad wrote:
> > Hi
> >

> > I want to look at a config file that uses ; as comments, but I want to
> > look at everything that is not a commented line
> >
> > so I tried grep -v '^\W*;' which sort of works, except it leaves me with
> > blank lines now, how can I not show the blank lines
> >
> adding to this I tried it in perl
>
> perl -nle 'print "[$_]" if ( ! m/^\s*;/)' sip.conf
>
> but it still prints out blank lines where it matches ?

more delving into it

I need something like this
perl -nle 'next if ( /^\s*;/);  print  if length $_ > 0' sip.conf

I have to check if I have a blank line. I would have thought the next
would read the next line !

--
"Well, that's going to be up to the pundits and the people to make up their
mind.  I'll tell you what is a president for him, for example, talking about my

        - George W. Bush
09/20/2000
on MSNBC