OK guru's. :-)

I'm in a situation where I need to duplicate on a mass basis - to the
order or 3000-5000 units - a Linux setup off a headless box.

All the destination boxes will be identical in specification, and the
same as the original. At this point (trial - only 15 to do), I've made
an image of the disk using DD to a USB attached drive - which works,
and gets the new boxes working, but takes 3+ hours to dump the image
back to the new boxes.

3+ hours over 5000 machines is not really acceptable. :-)

Is there a better way to do this? Something which will make a smaller
image and dump back quicker - most of the disk is empty, there's only
about 15 gig of actual data/setup on a 160 gig drive - and still
maintain the partition setup/bootability like using DD does?

Willing to listen to anyone who has a cluestick and is willing to apply it.

Thanks.

DaZZa