On Fri, May 02, 2008 at 11:43:10PM +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > On Fri, May 02, 2008 at 11:12:31PM +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I hope that someone can help me.
> >>
> >> I have just installed Ubuntu 8.04 on my pc and can not get surround
> >> sound
> >> to work.
> >>
> >> I have created a file  .asoundrc and put it in my home folder but only
> >> my
> >> front two speakers work and the other speakers work when I boot in
> >> Windows
> >> XP.
> >>
> >> I have attached the file to this e-mail.
> >>
> >> My pc configuration is an Intel 2.66GHz Core 2 duo with 2GB RAM and a
> >> sound Blaster 2 Audigy with a 5.1 Speaker system.
> >>
> >> I hope that someone can help me as I have been searching on the net but
> >> no
> >> luck of finding a solution.
> > at a guess you are not mapping the 2 channel input to the 6 channel
> > output properly, ie alsa is getting 2 channel input and you have mapped
> > it to the 5.1 output but placed nothing on the other channels
> >
> > I think dmix is what you are looking for
>
> Hi there,
>
> Thank you for your e-mail.
>
> I have checked my mixer settings in Ubuntu and the sliders for PCM Centre,
> Side etc are all at the top.
ummm no dmix in alsa, do a google for dmix alsa

pcm.dmixer {
        type dmix
        ipc_key 1024
        slave {
                pcm "hw:0,1"
                format S32_LE
                period_time 0
                period_size 1024

                # increased buffer_size
                buffer_size 32768

                rate 44100
        }

         bindings {
                 0 0
                 1 1
         }
}

this is a fragment of my /etc/asound.conf, notice the bindings option

please also reply to the list, that way other people can get help with
this as well.

--
Snow-white!  Snow-white!  O Lady clear!
O Queen beyond the Western Sea!

        Gilthoniel!  O Elbereth!
        Clear are thy eyes and bright thy breath!
        Snow-white!  Snow-white!  We sing to thee
        In a far land beyond the Sea.

O stars that in the Sunless Year
With shining hand by her were sown,
In windy fields now bright and clear