On Fri, 2008-05-16 at 14:35 +1000, DaZZa wrote:
> Anyone know if there is a default minimum username length for some (or
> all) current Linux distros?
>
> I have a vague recall from somewhere it's 4 characters minimum - but
> can't find any documentation to back this up.

My copy of O'Reilly's Practical UNIX and Internet Security (3rd edition)
says that standard passwords are 1-8 characters, although modern systems
will allow longer.

Most of my work involves debian, and RHEL of varying ages. They all have
system users with short names (bin, sys, lp and the like). The only time
I've seen a single-character username was one added by a dodgy rootkit.

--
Pete