David Liell wrote:
Thanks, Sonia but I don't follow.

I know which partition has "/" and which has "/home". What I don't understand is which one has the Ubuntu system and what is "/home" for?

% mount
/dev/sda1 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
/dev/sda3 on /home type ext3 (rw)
<snip>

In this case / contains the Ubuntu system and /home is sort of like "My Documents" in Windows.

In Windows you can have multiple partitions on a hard drive, but they appear as c: d: e: etc.

In Linux you can have multiple partitions on a hard drive, and they appear as "folders" underneath the top of the tree / - a cleaner system than Windows.

Why divide up the system into different partitions like / and /home? One reason is that you can easily re-install the o/s in / and keep all of your stuff under /home untouched. Another reason is that you can have different settings for different partitions eg one partition optimised for small files (eg emails), another partition optimised for large files (eg movies), etc.

Read more:
http://tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/html/sect_03_01.html#sect_03_01_02
http://tldp.org/LDP/sag/html/filesystems.html

--