On Mon, 2008-06-02 at 20:21 +1000, Peter Miller wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-06-02 at 16:31 +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > Yet there are so many who go nuts when the idea of accreditation is raised.
> > :-) [This cheap shot does not indicate my support for or against the idea!]
>
> As a profession, we have two choices:
> 1. start licensing and accrediting ourselves, with a structure we can
> live with, OR
> 2. wait for Some Really Bad Shit to happen, with a software defect as
> the root cause, and have the politicians force something upon us...
> something baroque, bureaucratic and onerous.
>
> I know which I would prefer.

So how would you develop such a system whilst also allowing for the
freedom and low barrier to entry that signifies the Free and Open Source
Software movement?

This was going to be the biggest problem with the ACS proposal, in that
there hadn't at the time been any thought of how those in the FOSS world
who may not be "cert or degree qualified" but were equally skilled and
knowledgable could partake.

I'm not saying that there isn't room for a certification/accreditation
type scheme, especially within the big corp and government sectors, I'm
just curious as to how it could be done.

As a rough and ready idea, could this be something that OSIA could get
involved with? Could OSIA be a partner in such a scheme? Or is it
something that should be tackled by an independent body.
--
James Purser
http://jamespurser.com.au