On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 12:50:20 +1000
david <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-06-20 at 07:57 +1000, Mary Gardiner wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 19, 2008, Sean Murphy wrote:
> > > All,
> > >
> > > I am after a good Anti spam software program for Linux which is
> > > shell based.  I am aware of Spam assassign.  But I would like to
> > > know if there is anything else which is better?
> >
> > Better could mean a few things in the context of spam filtering,
> > could you clarify which of these features is more important to you:
> >
> >  1. overall accuracy (false negatives and false positives)
> >  2. fewest number of false negatives (spam that gets through to your
> >     inbox)
> >  3. fewest number of false positives (good mail that ends up marked
> > as spam)
> >  4. good accuracy when in the default configuration, no twiddling
> >     required
> >  5. good for processing large volumes of mail without insane
> > resources
> >
> > I use SpamAssassin and find it does really well, but it falls down
> > at #4 and #5. I have to train the Bayesian[1] classifiers on all my
> > mail in order to get good-to-me accuracy, so I am certainly not
> > relying on the default configuration. (I suspect I'd do just as
> > well switching entirely to a Bayesian system, but since
> > SpamAssassin is now doing fine I have not done so).
> >
> > And it's a resource hog, it sometimes takes 8 seconds to scan a
> > mail on my OK-standard desktop system. So if you were receiving
> > more than an email about every 8 seconds you'd be looking at
> > performance tuning and additional less hoggy measures, or at
> > alternatives. (Everything that processes the full body of an email
> > is somewhat resource intensive, but I understand that SA is not
> > great.)
>

> I'm using Bogofilter (bayesian filter) to sort spam into "good", "bad"
> or "unsure" at a user level. I've got a cron shell script that passes
> manually sorted "unsure" email through the filter hourly for training
> purposes and it works really well at the client level.
>
> I don't know if there is a package to do that. I wrote the script
> myself, which means that it is crude and simple :)
>
> This doesn't stop spam... it just means you never have to read it.

I use bogofilter in connection with Sylpheed as a simple pop client. It
is remarkably effective, and with the default settings has almost no
false positives.

It is interesting with a Bayesian filter to notice that sometimes the
spammers seem to try something new. A few spam messages get through,
but with Sylpheed you just mark them as spam as they come in and it
learns very quickly.

Alan

> David.
>
> --

Tel:  04 2748 6206              Fax: +61 2 4782 7092
FWD: 615662