I have an Intel Xeon 3 gig CPU and have hyperthreading turned on in the
BIOS.  I've been trying to work out what the advantages and
disadvantages of this are.

The CPU appears as two CPUs to the machine, which means that
non-threaded apps don't appear to use the whole CPU.  Is this a correct
assumption?  For example, using Devede to convert video, the transcode
process only uses 50% of CPU in top.  If I run another CPU-intensive
process, the CPU usage in top goes close to 100%.

So would I be correct in assuming that hyperthreading is useful for
keeping the system responsive under load, but if running single-threaded
CPU-intensive processes, it'll run faster without hyperthreading?

This machine can actually take another CPU, but finding a suitable one
and the matching fan and shroud (Dell) doesn't seem to be easy.

--
Rev Simon Rumble <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
www.rumble.net

The Tourist Engineer
Just because you're on holiday, doesn't mean you're not a geek.
http://engineer.openguides.org/

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I
 realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked
 Him to forgive me."
- Emo Philips