I bought a Skymaster 2 port SATA card that uses the Silicon Image 3512
chipset. It supports hardware RAID (which I am not using). That cost $20 and
I bought a 500GB Seagate (with 16MB buffer)  for $99. I get around 50MB/s
sustained read speed (with a 800MHz PIII running on a Intel m-board) so I am
very happy. It just worked out of the box with Ubuntu 8.04.

On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 4:26 PM, bill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have 3 PCs which all have Gigabyte mobos with onboard PATA and SATA Raid
> controllers.
>
> These can be set to not be RAID and under older Linux distros,
> Ubuntu/Kubuntu in particular ( and drivatives thereof - ie LinuxMint etc) I
> have had no problems with 3 PATA hds and a DVDRW attached to the "normal"
> IDE connectors, along with SATA hds attached to the RAID connectors ( set to
> BASE in th PC Bios).
>
> Since Ubuntu 8.04 ( and derivatives) I have not been able to :-
>
> 1) boot any Ubuntu/Kubuntu etc LiveCD with both PATA and SATA hds attached.
>
> 2) successfully install to either a PATA or SATA hd and boot due to
> conflicts in the way the system sees drives/partitions. UUID's do not solve
> this.
>
> From the Suse Community forums I see that there are problems with Promise
> SATA cards/mobos, which is what are on my systems, along with Grub problems
> etc.
>
> So, can anybody recommend a Linux compatible SATA PCI card, or a mobo (
> hopefully inexpensive) with  onboard SATA that is Linux compatible?
>
> As I have several SATA hds with data that I would like to access by means
> other than using an older LiveCD or installing an older distro, my only
> other option is an external, multi SATA hd case, which I prefer to avoid.
>
> I have posted re my PATA/SATA problems here before, particularly in regard
> to UUIDs.
>
> Thanks
>
> Bill
> --