I use samba on a mixed OS network. We have several NAS devices and two
Fedora workstations which share drives using NAS.

I have configured the Fedora workstations to only announce on the local
subnet (/24) to prevent inadvertent connections from the wider organization.

I implement this by putting the following in smb.conf
remote announce = 10.9.136.0/24

I also set
local master = no
Because I figured that there were other computers more suited to being the
master browser (whatever that means)

Unfortunately I've been faced with some windows boxes spontaneously not able
to browse or connect to the network. It is occasional, but seemed to
decrease in occurance when I reduced the use of SMB shares.

I'm really keen to find a "safe" configuration for my SMB shares, but I'm
not sure where I would find how to do this. It's very difficult to diagnose
which configuration works better without months of investigation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
Robbie Barnett

[EMAIL PROTECTED]