Patrick/Chris,

So any idea of what the root issue was? Every camera produced JPEG
these days has an EXIF header. It would seem that the camera is in
need of a firmware upgrade if it is writing bodgy EXIF (or less likely
that GIMP has encountered an EXIF field not properly handled)

Martin

On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 12:59 PM, elliott-brennan
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I've already written directly to Chris, who sent me a copy of one of the
> photos he's having problems with. Thought other people might like to know of
> one solution.
>
> Strip out the EXIF (1) data in the photo and all is well.
>
> Imagemagick will do this for you:
>
> mogrify -strip <name of file>
>
> Or for every photo in the directory, use:
>
> mogrify -strip *.jpg (or whatever the extension is).
>
> Regards,
>
> Patrick
>
> (1) Wikipedia: EXIF
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EXIF
>

>> [SLUG] opening a photo in GIMP
>> Chris Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> Sun, 07 Sep 2008 11:12:10 +1000
>>
>> I have copied a set of photos from my digital camera for re-processing
>> in GIMP. GIMP says it can't open them.          "Plug-in could not open
>> image"
>> They are all JPG files 0372 x 2305 pixels (2.93 MB)
>> Can any one advise how to resolve this problem (or a better forum)?
>>
>> PS I have no trouble viewing them on screen.  However I need to reduce
>> their size for us in ID cards and and posting to the web.
>>

> --
> Registered GNU/Linux User 368634
> --

Regards, Martin