A friend at work has installed Ubuntu (hardy heron) on an Asus EEE pc. When he plugs in a in a USB flash drive, he gets an error message explaining that he need SU rights to do this. this surprises me because I have no trouble on my machine.

I said he should see what happens if he logs in as "root". He knows nothing about "root" and certainly does not know root's password. I said he should remember being prompted for this in the install. "no".

In the install, he created a login only for himself (which works) except that he cannot use his USB flash drive.

The system is clearly trying to mount the drive when it is plugged in. It just thinks the that access rights do not allow it.

Any suggestions? (remember that he does not know root's password)

Chris Allen