On Sep 22, 11:57 am, Jim Donovan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I run a site with about 20MB of files and a finite amount of traffic.
> We've been using a $100/100MB plan with Smartyhost which gives us SSH access
> and a linux server.
>
> Unfortunately, smarty's service seems to be falling off. They keep trying to
> move us to a server which does not allow SSH logins. And they seem unable to
> keep our webstats running.

Interesting.
I've been using vigabyte (vigabyte.com) for a VPS [1] - they're part
of the smartyhost group.  I haven't used them heavily but nothing bad
for the year I've been on them.  Service is a bit slow and I had to
spend an initial session disabling and uninstalling unwanted software
on my server.  Smartyhost has now become part of MYOB which makes me a
little nervous.

(This is all vps, not shared hosting so you need to do root admin
stuff and your own web server, web stats ...)

Other VPS's: web24.com.au - surprisingly good service, confusing setup
but fast.  Network or performance is a bit suspect which is something
I'd like to see improve.  They use openvz/virtuozzo/container-style
virtualisation.
In US, slicehost.com is good.  vpsfarm.com seems like good value at
half the price of slicehost for 1gb ram (disk and bandwidth are
different) but I haven't tried them.

Always looking for more aussie vps providers...
Regards,
Daniel

[1] $49/month for 256RAM - I think they're vmware/esx based, but they
have some spin about being able to quickly expand ram and possibly
disk with minimal downtime.