Port Knock service secures the network by having all the ports closed and
listens on a secret port for the secret handshake.

When the client intiates a connection, the connection is verified through
the internal database as to which service the particular client has access
to. The doorman approves the connection. Once the client is approved the
connection, it is only allowed access to the particular service for only
that particular session. And in the whole process passwords are never
exchanged.

The advantage gained here is the client is given access to the required
service only within the requested session, which defeats port scanners,
sniffers, network hijackers and the rest of the scum.

Cheers,
Brian