On Nov 24, 4:18 pm, david <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Jeff...
>
>  From my original post:
>
>  > System/Preferences/Network Configuration GUI tool fails with the following
>  > message:
>  >
>  > Updating connection failed: nm-ifupdown-connection.c.82 - connection update
>  > not supported (read only)
>  >
>
> So now that the lovely clever gui tool doesn't work, what do I do next? go
> back
> to the old fashioned config files that I was comfortable with? I can't because
> they are now mysteriously over-written or silently ignored!

If it comes to that, there must be a way to disable network manager?
Not saying you should, but I confess to having done this when I got a
new laptop earlier this year.

NM was working on my system but occasionally it wouldn't and when this
happened I was hosed especially with wireless.

I think what I did was to go into /etc/dbus-1/event.d/25NetworkManager
and 26NetworkManagerDispatcher and disable the start scripts (ubuntu
8.04)
That's probably totally totally wrong but it works for me.
My resolv.conf hasn't been eaten since the 29-Mar-08.

I have a shell script for switching between wireless and wired modes
(involving wpa_supplicant etc) on top of the ifup-ifdown-etc/network/
interfaces stuff.

--
Daniel Bush