elliott-brennan wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for some ideas to help me complete my
> installation set-up.
>
> I've just installed Myth on top of Ubuntu 8.04.1.
>
> The machine:
>
> - 3Ghz P4
> - 1.3G RAM
> - HDD x 2 (160G primary, 500G secondary)
> - PVR-150 x 2
> - Nvidia MX4000 128Mb RAM
> - On-board Intel sound card - I only have three
> PCI slots on the mobo and no AGP - so can't
> install another sound card.
> - I have a Hauppauge IR remote but am buggered
> about setting it up (will have to wait for another
> month :))
> - Standard analogue TV connected to the PC by an
> s-video to RCA (I think it's called) adapter.
> - BlueRay player/DVD burner
>
> I did start with a PVR-500 (dual tuner) but could
> NOT get the damn thing to be recognised by
> Mythbuntu - in fact it refused to install at all.

Try using the latest linuxtv.org drivers instead:

This works for me: (different card, similar issue)
wget http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb/archive/bb3888b47e93.tar.bz2  (or
see http://linuxtv.org/repo for instructions)
Make sure you have the kernel headers and build tools installed
('build-essential' package)
extract the tarball
backup & remove /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/media/*  (
avoids conflicts with existing drivers, if you have issues, there may
also be conflicting drivers in '/lib/modules/`uname
-r`/ubuntu/media/', again, make backups )
make all && sudo make install
restart

> I have sound, but not through the telly (I can
> plug-in headphones to the on-board sound and it
> works). I'm assuming I can plug in a cable to the
> on-board output and see if that works by plugging
> it into the telly's audio input.

How are you plugging it into the telly now?
If it is a composite cable (yellow) then you will also need to use the
other two (black and red) for audio.
This will probably require a '3.5mm Stereo to 2xRCA' cable to get from
the headphone port to the tv audio in.

> I can access telly via the Ubuntu desktop - NOT
> what I want - with Xawtv - so at least one of the
> tuners is working.
>
> 1. The text is slightly blurry on the desktop (I'm
> assuming this is the consequence of my telly not
> having the resolution of a computer monitor)
>
> 2. there is a slight 'interference' running on the
> screen. I'm assuming this is the result of an
> incorrect refresh rate.

Look into setting a modeline that conforms to the PAL spec and you should be ok.
If that doesn't mean anything to you (yet), then either ask more or it
at least gives you some keywords to search with.

> 4. I cannot get the machine to boot into the
> lovely Mythbuntu GUI (with the big buttons that
> say things like 'Watch Telly'). I can only boot
> into a desktop like Gnome.

Sounds like you installed the myth packages directly.
If this is going to be a dedicated myth box then look into installing
the 'mythbuntu-desktop' package.

Or you can just add 'mythfrontend' to your startup applications under
System -> Preferences -> Sessions

> 3. The desktop image is slightly drawn to the
> left. I have an older analogue telly, so there are
> no 'display' controls as on some LCD telly's and
> PC monitors.

This is most likely also caused by the refresh rate issues you mentioned above.

> 4. Do I have to plug both tuners into the telly
> aerial? I'll have to buy a second adapter
> (male/male) to do this - not a great cost of course)

yes, definitely.  Both tuners will need their own input.

> Any help would be most appreciated. This is not a
> 'mission critical' unit :)) though my wife may
> criticise my mission if I can't get it to work!
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards,
>
> Patrick

Hope this helps a little,