Hi Slugger's

It appears I need a lesson in Linux and memory management.

If you could treat this request as if coming from a complete numpty please, and simply explain the differences between Cached, Buffered and Application Memory as they pertain to Linux?

According to KDE SysGuard, my CentOS 5.2 server appears to "cache" its entire 2GB quotient of physical RAM. And my general experience of the box (implemented as file server, mail server, firewall and router) is that it is slow.

Something tells me it shouldn't be behaving like this?