Not being a Slackware user, I don't know the specifics of your issue.

In order to give potential advisers a clue, we would at a minimum need
to know the model of motherboard, and hence hopefully the onboard
sound chipset you are using. Also if you post the result of "lspci",
filtering out the device line that would seem to pertain to the
soundcard it might help. (BTW, when you said you replaced a Intel
Celeron with an AMD Athlon CPU, you *must* have also had the
motherboard replaced at the same time).

For most Linux distros and sound cards these days it should "just
work" so I imagine you must have something special.

Regards, Martin

martinvisse...@gmail.com