Hi David,

I dablled in this once before. I would recomend you go for a Live CD, although
you don't need (as the disk isn't monted for system use. I think you'll find
that as they tend to prepackaged for this kind of thing, they might just be
easier to use.
Also saves stuffing around with non-repository software, which is touch and go
if your not a developer.
I can't remember which it was but I used either:
System Rescue CD
The Ultimate Boot disk
My copies were/are a few years old now, but one of the two i found was able to
resurect scarily large amounts of supposedly deleted files. I think that is/was
their actual names. Both free, both based on a combination of linux, free BSD
and FreeDOS.

Good Luck!

Jon