On Wednesday 26 Aug 2009 12:36:03 Morgan Storey wrote:
> Unfortunately from what I have read a lot of the manufacturers
> moved to XP on the slightly higher models, and models with larger
> disks, and a lot of those sales where XP machines. So much so that
> MS continued shipping XP and supporting it. They have now even made
> a cutdown version of 7 for netbooks. But it is progress, there are
> a heap of people out there using Linux on thei netbooks, the missus
> was already a convert and probably only bought her netbook cause
> she knew everything would just work with Linux.

Yes.  As part of the same discussion that I've had with a lot of
people I found myself having a long chat to Mark Shuttleworth one day
at an event in Brussels.  He agreed with me that you can't get hold of
any real figures for desktop use of GNU/Linux.

However, it seems to be that thanks to the netbook penetration of the
commercial desktop market is starting to happen.  It's becoming
acceptable and easy to use.  I even managed to get someone from SuSE
in Nuremberg to agree with me about this.  As a side note:  Fujitsu
are saying that they might have to lay off 1200 people in the UK due to
lack of sales.

--
Richard
www.sheflug.org.uk