On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 13:59:58 +1100
Heracles <herac...@iprimus.com.au> wrote:

> Hi All,
> I've recently taken back the job of creating the monthly magazine for
> a computer club I have been a member of since 1982. The person who
> gave me a couple of years rest used windows and word so I will have
> to recreate the templates from scratch probably. The magazine is 24
> pages for which the format is fairly fixed.
>
> Page 1 is a cover with graphics and some text, Page 2 has an index
> (which obviously changes monthly) and other fixed text and page 24 is
> basically fixed with only a small part (Dates) of its text changing
> monthly. Pages 3 to 23 (where all the new content is placed) are set
> up as 2 columns with a footer but no header.
<SNIP>

I should have added a few more notes about LyX.

First, you can get a better preview of "The Restless Minestrone" here:
http://books.google.com/books?id=w0hUXHizmaAC&dq=tyree+restless+minestrone&printsec=frontcover&source=bl&ots=Pe8Cn4xBv6&sig=Mhnh1GqzsKDyUa_duZKO3kAupDw&hl=en&ei=FadOS9_3N5SXkQW41cSwCg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CAcQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=&f=false

(If that doesn't come through, just Google "tyree restless minestrone")

Second, I used Memoir class to make the book. Lots of the
lists/graphics are in "boxes" which are just LaTeX minipages.

Third, I enjoyed the experience with LyX so much that I wrote short
(100 pages) book "Self-publishing with LyX" which is available as a
free PDF download from Lulu.com:
http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/self-publishing-with-lyx/1502465

The Self-publishing book is based on an earlier version of LyX, but the
details haven't changed much. LyX itself has some of the best open
source documentation that I have seen.

HTH,
Alan

Tel:  04 2748 6206