Ben Burke wrote:

Yes, I know about dig. But the problem I'm having appears to be failure
of dns server to respond, or a communications problem with dns server(s)

I admittedly haven't delved deep into the dig man page, but a suggestion
would be to add a suitable dig incantation to your cron job just before
requiring DNS services, just to see what is happening in detail at the time.

At least you'd have a log written to stdout that you can examine for anomalies
when something awry happens with "that server".

cheers
rickw