On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 19:09:35 +1100
James Gray <ja...@gray.net.au> wrote:

> On 21/02/2010, at 7:48 AM, elliott-brennan wrote:
>
> > Alan Tyree wrote:
> >
> >> I have an Apple iBook G4 and the hard drive is
> > showing >some damage - it
> >> is an IDE drive. Would like to replace with
> > something solid >state, but
> >> don't really know where to start.
> >
> >> Cheers,
> >> Alan
>
> Hi Alan,
>
> I didn't see your original (sans the quoted section above), but the
> following will probably be of interest to you:
>
> http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/Installing-iBook-G4-12-Inch-800-MHz-1-2-GHz-Hard-Drive-Replacement/166/1
>
> As for putting a SSD where an IDE currently lives, you will more than
> likely require an IDE-to-SATA converter unless you can find an IDE
> SSD!  If you need the converter, you will probably run out of space :
> (  Traditional "spinning platter" IDE drives are still readily
> available but are (in my experience) a little more expensive ($/MB)
> than their SATA cousins....that whole supply/demand thing sux.

Yeah, replacing the original hard drive is not complicated, but I was
looking to go solid state. The machine is now underpowered, overweight
and needs a memory upgrade.

The reason I was asking about CF as a hard drive is this adapter which
seems like it solves the space problem:

http://www.addonics.com/products/flash_memory_reader/ad44midecf.asp

But reasonable size CF cards aren't cheap.

It doesn't make financial sense, I guess. It is an old favourite since
I have written a couple of books on it, but maybe time to put it out to
pasture. The basic Dell Mini 10 was on line at $400 this weekend - much
lighter, much higher specs.

Thanks,
Alan

> Good luck,