Hi,

Thanks for the pointers.

Is it possible that the HBA driver loads the firmware onto the drives? I've
tried the harddrive vendor (Hitachi), but they don't
release firmware updates.

I reduced the size of the array to 4x2Tb RAID10 (4Tb redundant).
Perhaps I'll try a smaller size to see if I have the same problem.
The easiest way to replicate the problem is to run hdparm -t /dev/sda
I get about 400kB/s on the problem RAID.

The aacraid driver seems to mask single disks. AFAIK This prevents the driver
timingout during bootup

I've removed all LVMs so I can use modprobe and rmmod to experiment with
different module options without restarting.