To the community.

Jon's experience probably really demonstrates why Linux isn't going to go
mainstream anytime soon. While I would say 90% of people are going to have
hardware that just works with the most current release of most distros, it
is the 10% that have issues that really stings.

Surely this hurdle needs to be overcome. With the likes of Canonical,
Redhat, Novell and the like wanting this to work surely there is a need for
some sort of integration centre that hardware vendors can submit their
gadgets for driver development assistance, and qualification? I know that
they do do some of these things and a lot of problems like video and
suspend/resume seem a lot more predicable.

Or is this simply never going to happen and we just need to put up with it
considering the effect of aggressive competition and the need to get new
stuff out there all the time.

Regards, Martin

martinvisse...@gmail.com