Ok here it is to get the cli on esxi

# console and press Alt-F1
# then type "UNSUPPORTED" and press <enter>
# login with your root login and password
# and you can do your thing ... or enable SSH in the next steps
# Edit the inetd.conf file by typing "vi /etc/inetd.conf"
# remove the # in front of the SSH line
# reboot your ESXi server (or kill the inetd process and start it again)

Ben