Hi James,

In my experience, the most often restore of a file from backup is from yesterday's tape.
Then it reduces from there.

It is also a simple question of what the business wants.

Some places I've worked for wanted a backup of everything and were prepared to pay for it. Others were only interested in restoring from the previous month and then a monthly tape from before that.

So, check with the owner what they want. Give them options of cost/backup options. Let them decide what they want. Then it's not your problem on how long backups are retained. You then only have to make sure you live up to what is wanted.

Ben