I've got a Toshiba P300 dual booting to Ubuntu 10.04. I've steadily upgraded from 8.04 on it and for the most part it was fine. Did have a glitch during 8.10 and 9.04 where it lost all network adaptors after the upgrade but a few extra options on the kernel boot line and they returned.

I've also had to return it for a dead hard drive and found the process was quite painless - dropped it off at their service centre (Silverwater from memory but could be wrong) and picked it up a few days later which was an acceptable enough time for me.

I've owned a few Toshiba's over the years and generally get 4 - 5 years use out of them. Of course this is one persons experiences and I'm sure there's an equal number of people who can say the same for other brands.

HTH,
Paul