Here's a CNET discussion which identifies the Linux (sidux - debian sid variant)
and a source download link!

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-7587_102-236544.html

source code:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericSoftwareDownloadIndex?lc=en&cc=us&softwareitem=ob-29445-1

It's not clear whether this is the same as Samsung's or Dell's equivalent, but
I guess it is (or was)
Samsung used to make Dell or HP laptops under contract.

Apparently later laptops started using Windows based software for this non-boot
dvd feature.