On Sunday 24 October 2010 13:45:29 wbenn...@turing.une.edu.au wrote:
> If I have an application that I wish to install --- a crossword
> compiler in this case and I have the download on the desktop ---
> it's a .tgz file --- is there an apt-get command 9or variation)
> that will install it?

apt-get install alien

Then... man alien ... or Google search.  Followed by....

alien -d crossword.tgz  ....  or
alien -d -i crossword.tgz

Or, if you did -d first and didn't install (more sensible)...

dpkg -i crossword_all.deb

Doing -d and -i together can lead to some issues sometimes.
Should work fine on Debian and Ubuntu.  If it doesn't work untar the
tgz and tar again at crossword.tar.gz.  That should do it :)

This might or might not work for a compiler but it's worked for me a
lot of times.  Sometimes it didn't.

--
Richard
http://www.sheflug.org.uk