On Sunday 20 March 2011 06:53:01 Heracles wrote:
> lspci shows the nic and so does iwconfig but ifconfig only shows
> the loopback interface. It does not even show the (100/1000Mb)
> ethernet interface.
>
> Ubuntu, SuSE and Fedora all show both.
>
> Am I missing something?

This is only speculation but... if the Debian people have moved
towards kernels that are based on free software rather than stuff that
"just works" then I'd say that the driver for your network card has
been removed.  This is what I thought was going to happen when Debian
6.0 was released.  GnewSense is now moving to Debian.  Richard
Stallman uses GnewSense.

I could be wrong but this sounds like FSF intervention once again.

--
Richard
http://www.sheflug.org.uk