To answer OP's question, my Linux mail server uses spamassassin and ESET
for filtering. My Linux file server also periodically performs full
scans with ESET. I do not yet run any virus scanning on my desktop
though.

On Mon, 2011-04-04 at 11:30 +1000, Nick Andrew wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 04, 2011 at 06:46:36AM +1000, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> > Morgan Storey wrote:
> > > I think it is going to come back and bite the Linux community if we go
> > > via the line that we are immune to viruses,
> >
> > Unfortunately, the alternative, virus scanners that look for
> > particular virus signatures is nothing more than security
> > theatre.
>
> I agree. What would a virus scanner look for anyway, if there
> are no extant viruses on linux systems?

The biggest market for antivirus scanners on Linux is when the system in
question is acting as a server for other systems. This is evidenced by
the fact that there are quite a few commercial A/V systems available for
Linux, almost none of which are suitable for desktop use.

And, for better or for worse, you need to demonstrate that you're
performing regular virus scans on *all* of your systems on a regular
basis for quite a few security-related standards. Regardless of whether
you think you need it or not. Yes, I'm looking at you, Payment Card
Industry.

> That leads to rule #2 - defense-in-depth. The only hope we have to
> survive this untrusted and potentially malicious code being executed by
> our browsers is to implement sandboxes, language-level restrictions and
> strict limits on authorization.

I think that eliminating a reasonably large swathe of of your attack
vector through a regularly-maintained virus scanner is a good
contribution to solid defence-in-depth...

--
Pete