A lot of those questions you have raised are usually answered in documentation
for the virtual environment you are running.

Let me add a disclaimer that I have ceased supporting organisations that are
smaller than 2000 staff. So my head may be in the clouds

The issue you have is you limit your redundancy if you run RAID 1, and you will
have only 1 TB of space. What VMs are you going to run? If it's a mail server,
SQL and fileserver I would hope that the client is small enough to deal grow
into 1TB shared disk space within the next 3 years and not out grow it in 12
months. In my personal experience I have not seen a small business use less
than 1 TB for files, this was back in 2004-2005

How do you intend support  the clustered environment? Granted I have not played
with Xen virtualisation but I would believe that similar rules apply in VMWare
or Microsoft and Citrix. I am making assumptions here: If you are employing HA
clustering My question is how will share disks out across nodes work when your
VM reside on node1's disk  and for some stupid reason node1 is dead how will
node2 access the VMs?

I wouldn't worry too much about striping v's mirroring until you consider what
type of cluster you are going to design. To have real HA you might need to
reconsider the idea of supporting any local disks as you will not have real HA
in your design until the disks are external to both cluster nodes. This is big
money but you get what you pay for. for a small home/office for my personal use
I have purchased a DRoboPro FS fully populated with 2 TB drives with a total
capacity of 10TB storage for $6,000 the system is self healing, you can
intermix drive sizes and you use cheap SATA drives, I use it as my test
environment which I run VMs through vSphere, and I have True HA until I lose my
disk subsystem.

Support the distro you are comfortable with otherwise you may come across
issues that you may struggle with due to location of config files and the like..

really you need to analyse your design and think about the environment you are
going to support, the HA you are expecting and the applications you will be
supporting in these VMs.

Just may be you are going to complex without understanding the technologies
that you might be employing. Mind map your idea draw up your topology and
identify single points of failure. If you think those single points of failure
are acceptable and you are willing to let your client sit idly for 3 hours
waiting for Dell to supply a replacement part, then ask your client is that
acceptable? How are you going to over come theses?