I am assuming that the computer is in the loungeroom/family room.

I guess with a subscription based tool you might need to use an authentication
based system which could be very annoying with the number of popups you'd get
if you require a user based internet filter.

about 10 years ago I used Squid with Dan's Guardian with one of my employers. I
restricted IP based and user based authentication. but found user based
authentication to give users a very bad experience.

Now with my kids aged 10, 9 and 5. I have 4 computers in the family room and it
tends to reduce the the unwanted content but I also went the way of an evil
corp and used the inbuilt tool called parental controls, at least I can
restrict out/in going emails, Instant messaging and internet access.