On 6/02/2012 10:44 PM, Rod Butcher wrote:
On 02/06/12 17:41, Nick Andrew wrote:
On Mon, Feb 06, 2012 at 09:34:22AM +0800, James Linder wrote:
SNIP
While this thread drifts OT the basic issue is tremendously important
for us as a group.

So ... back to the important questions of whether Android or IOS runs
more apps?

Nick.
I originally asked whether there was any important functionality that
Android-based phones lacked compared to the competition, and whether
they struggled with any file formats. I then added that this appeared to
me to be an issue of available apps and requested confirmation or
otherwise of this assumption - the inference I intended was that I
assumed that any such issues would not be a function of the operating
systems themselves but rather a function of what apps had been written
and what they could do.
Rather than actually address the questions posters responded with clumsy
sarcasm, recast the questions in terms of their pet hobbyhorses and
wandered off into moral philosophy. Closest we got was some facts about
techniques for extending battery life, which is important and relevant,
but I still don't know how Android compares in this area to the
competition.
Rod

For a very subjective response to this, I would quote Steve Wozniak (remember him - Steve Jobs' partner?):
'My primary phone is the iPhone, I love the beauty of it. But I wish it did all
the things my Android does, I really do.'

My Android phone has a lot of techy aps on it, to allow me to ssh into the server or RDP into a Windoze box, run DNS & reverse lookups, traceroutes & pings, telnet, wireless network analyses, etc - all of which are invaluable for troubleshooting customer's network problems. And all of these aps are free (even if they are not OSS). I haven't checked the availability of these on the iPhone, as none of my techy friends have iPhones; however, I have heard that the Apple Ap Store has far fewer free aps than the Android market.

For what it's worth.

Regards,
Edwin Humphries