Just have a look for options in the BIOS for HDDs.
Also pull the drive out and put it back in again. Could be a loose cable?

Ben

On 17/02/2012 10:12 PM, Eason Mai wrote:
Hi  Edwin,
Does your client's computer support booting from USB? If yes, you can make a
live Linux on USB, then try boot from it, good luck.

Eason Mai

---------------

:)@ RHCE/CCNA

Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 12:30:28 +1100
From: edw...@netsensecomputers.com.au
To: slug@slug.org.au
Subject: [SLUG] Help with a weird problem, please

Hi,

I know a few of you will think I'm off-topic, but I have a customer's
Vista box here that won't boot. (ducking now ...)

So I tried loading a Ubuntu live CD, then a Knoppix LiveCD. then
plugging in a USB DVD drive and trying Ubuntu again as well as Puppy -
and all had variants of the same error message, which can be summarised
as being unable to mount the CD image and therefore unable to proceed.

Most of the information on the web indicated that this often relates to
a corrupt ISO image or one that's burned at too high a speed for the
drive to read properly, but having tried three different distros (all of
which I've used multiple times in other PCs) and two different drives,
that seems pretty unlikely.

On the assumption that RAM problems may also prevent the mounting of a
drive on a live CD, I also checked the RAM, with no errors resulting.

Can anyone suggest what's going on?

NetSense Computers logoRegards,
Edwin Humphries
Mobile: 0419 233 051
NetSense Computers (Ironstone Technology Pty Ltd)
79 Barney St (P. O. Box 423), Kiama, NSW, 2533
Phone: +61 (0)2 4233 2285
Fax: +61 (0)2 4233 2781
Web: http://www.netsensecomputers.com.au

--
This email is intended for the named addressee/s only and may contain
confidential or privileged information. If you are not a named addressee

"/At every moment he beholdeth a wondrous world, a new creation, and
goeth from astonishment to astonishment, and is lost in awe at the works
of the Lord of Oneness./"     Baha'u'llah, The Seven Valleys
"./.. humans are interesting. With all the wonders there are in the
Universe, they invented boredom./"     Terry Pratchet, Hogfather
"/The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is
the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a
stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as
good as dead: his eyes are closed./"     Albert Einstein
/"Stuff your eyes with wonder ... live as if you'd drop dead in ten
seconds. See the world. It's more fantastic than any dream made or paid
for in factories./"     Ray Bradbury