Have a strange problem with this install.

On my laptop (Core i3 X86_64) the update to 12.04 went OK (had to run
the -f to fix and finish the install but OK)
All works as expected.

On my desktop (AMD II x4 with amd64) all seemed to run perfectly and
every thing works EXCEPT although I can easily connect and talk to my
router over wifi I cannot surf the net.

I think it may be a DNS problem but on checking the configuration I find
that nothing has changed.

What is even more curious is that if I boot the previous version of
Linux with the kernel (3.0.0.17) all is back.

Note: When I upgraded I kept my config file for the network.

I tried plugging in the OpenDNS servers at (208.67.222.222 etc) but no
improvement.

Any clues?

Heracles