Token ring would work.

Now, i wonder if anyone has already implemented token ring over i2c under
linux.
 On 02/06/13 10:01, Chris Barnes wrote:
> come to think of it. the whole master/slave process of I2C would probably
> make it terribly difficult to implement tcp/ip since each device would
have
> to be able to switch from slave to master to be able to send broadcasts
> like arp requests, netbios name requests, etc. Otherwise the slaves can
> only send data in response to a request from the master.

On the other hand, a token ring based approach may work here. You would
have one “master” that continually polls every I2C “slave” asking
whether it has any packets to send (and also delivering any packets
addressed thus).

Not an unfamiliar nor unsolved problem we’re talking about here.