Surely it rather depends on what the intended use of the old computer is?

I've heard of using old computers as routers, NAS boxes and so on, and whilst I applaud the idea of extending useful life, using a 75-100W PC to do the job of a 10-15W router is hardly energy efficient - or cost effective.

Regards,
Edwin Humphries
Mobile: 0419 233 051